2018 BREAKING THE GLASS CEILING AWARD
Nominations Due by Friday, February 1, 2019
Send Nomination Materials to Elaine Fogliani
THE BREAKING THE GLASS CEILING AWARD
Established when WELV was first founded in 1998, this award is presented to a woman who, by her accomplishments and her appointments to positions heretofore not held by women, has provided new pathways for other women to follow. She has demonstrated outstanding leadership that has contributed to the quality of education in Virginia. Most important, by being the first woman selected or appointed to a significant position of leadership not previously held by a woman in Virginia, she has “broken the glass ceiling” in her field, and thus increased the sphere of influence of all women leaders in Virginia.
- Annette Gibbs, Ph. D. First woman Dean of Students at UVA
- Deanna Gordon, Ed. D. First woman to serve as the president of The Virginia Association of School Superintendents (VASS)
- Jo Lynne DeMary, Ed. D. First woman in Virginia to serve as the state’s Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Belle S. Wheelan, Ph. D. First woman and first African American to serve as Virginia’s Secretary of Education, President of Central Virginia Community College, and President of Northern Virginia Community College.
- Virginia McLaughlin, Ed. D. First woman Dean of Education at The College of William and Mary
- Margaret Blackmon, Ed. D. First Executive Director of Women Education Leaders in Virginia (WELV)
- Patricia Cormier, Ph. D. First woman President of Longwood University
- Kathryn Thornton, Ph. D. First woman astronaut after graduating from the University of Virginia
- Teresa Sullivan, Ph. D. First woman to serve as the President of the University of Virginia
- Judith Duncan, Ed. D. First woman to serve as the Superintendent of Schools in Virginia
To nominate a candidate for the Breaking the Glass Ceiling Award, please contact Elaine Fogliani, the Executive Director of WELV, by Friday, February 1, 2019.