2018 RISING STAR FEMALE LEADER AWARD
Nominations Due by Friday, February 2, 2018
Send Nomination Materials to Elaine Fogliani
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2016 RISING STAR AWARD WINNER
Dr. Kim Evans was the recipient of the Rising Star Award at this year’s WELV conference. Dr. Evans is a vivacious go-getter who exerts a positive influence on all she meets. The faces of those she has mentored brighten with the mention of her name. She has served as the Secretary for WELV since 2014 and has helped our organization in numerous other ways. Dr. Evans is currently the Assistant Superintendent at Hopewell Public Schools and is responsible for directing, coordinating, and improving the educational program in grades K – 12 for the Hopewell Public School system where she makes a difference in many lives.
THE RISING STAR FEMALE LEADER AWARD
Established in 2012, the Rising Star Female Leader Award is presented to a woman educator who demonstrates the traits of an outstanding leader and is viewed by her colleagues as an individual with great potential to contribute significantly to education in Virginia.
PURPOSE OF AWARD
This award is presented to a WELV member who demonstrates a strong commitment to students and who has already demonstrated leadership characteristics that inspire other women educators and extend her sphere of influence. She is viewed by her colleagues as an individual with the potential to develop her leadership abilities and to have a profound impact on the future of education in Virginia.
CRITERIA FOR CONSIDERATION
- A demonstrated commitment of service to students
- A record of promoting, supporting, and encouraging women in all areas of education
- Recognition by her colleagues as a leader with great potential to contribute significantly to education in Virginia
- Participation in WELV through membership and attendance at conferences
- A commitment to furthering the participation of women in higher levels of educational leadership
- Particular and sustained contributions to WELV and commitment to WELV’s mission
2016 Kim Evans, Assistant Superintendent, Hopewell
2015 Jennifer Cavanaugh, Assistant Principal, Loudon County
2012 Staci England, Assistant Principal, Albemarle County
If you would like to nominate a candidate for the 2017 Rising Star Female Leadership Award, you are asked to submit the following documents:
1. A letter nominating the candidate. This letter should provide evidence of how the candidate fulfills the specific criteria stated in the description of the award.
2. A resume of the candidate.
3. Two letters of recommendation from individuals who know the nominee well and can speak to her accomplishments.
These materials should be sent electronically to Elaine Fogliani, the Executive Director of WELV, by Friday, February 2, 2018.
The Nominations Committee of the WELV Board will review completed nomination packets and make recommendations, based on stated criteria, to the full WELV Board for a final decision. The award is given as appropriate; it may not be conferred this year. If the Board selects a winner of the 2017 award, it will be bestowed on her at the WELV Annual Conference in Charlottesville on March 17, 2017.