2018 SPIRIT AWARD
Nominations Due by Friday, February 2, 2018
Send Nomination Materials to Elaine Fogliani
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2017 SPIRIT AWARD WINNER
Marceline Catlett, Deputy Superintendent of Fredericksburg City Public Schools, received the Women Education Leaders in Virginia Spirit Award at the annual conference in Charlottesville. The Spirit Award is presented to a leader who has had a significant role in supporting the mission of WELV to promote women in all areas of education and to further the participation of women in higher levels of educational administration.
THE SPIRIT AWARD
Established in 2009, the WELV Spirit Award is presented to a leader who has had a significant role in supporting the mission of WELV. She has been actively and successfully engaged in pursuing WELV’s goal of promoting the efforts and accomplishments of women in all areas of education and increasing the participation of women in higher levels of educational administration.
PURPOSE OF AWARD
The WELV Spirit Award is presented to a WELV member who, over her years of involvement in WELV, has made notable contributions to strengthening the organization. Through her leadership and commitment to the organization, she has advanced the mission of WELV.
CRITERIA FOR CONSIDERATION
- A record of service and leadership in education in Virginia with notable accomplishments as a leader
- A record of promoting, supporting, and encouraging women in all areas of education
- A commitment to furthering the participation of women in higher levels of educational leadership
- Particular and sustained contributions to WELV and commitment to WELV’s mission
2016 Paula Lichiello, WELV Higher Education Representative and Assistant Professor of Leadership Studies, Lynchburg College
2015 Gena Keller, WELV President and Superintendent of Fluvanna County Schools
2013 Margaret Blackmon, Executive Director of WELV and former Superintendent, Prince Edward County Public Schools
2012 Donna Plasket, Assistant Dean, School of Continuing and Professional Studies, University of Virginia
2009 Pam Tucker, Professor, Curry School, University of Virginia
If you would like to nominate a candidate for the Spirit Award, you are asked to submit the following documents:
1. A letter nominating the candidate. This letter should provide evidence of how the candidate fulfills the specific criteria stated in the description of the award.
2. A resume of the candidate.
3. Two letters of recommendation from individuals who know the nominee well and can speak to her accomplishments.
These materials should be sent electronically to Elaine Fogliani, the Executive Director of WELV, by Friday, February 2, 2018.
The Nominations Committee of the WELV Board will review completed nomination packets and make recommendations, based on stated criteria, to the full WELV Board for a final decision. The award is given as appropriate; it may not be conferred this year. If the Board selects a winner of the 2017 award, it will be bestowed on her at the WELV Annual Conference in Charlottesville on March 16, 2017.